HIGHSTED GRAMMAR SCHOOL
· Blazer, washable, royal blue.
· Highsted Grammar School Badge for blazer – white on royal blue (Available at Highsted School office or online www.simmonds-ltd.com at a cost of £5)
· White cotton blouse - plain – revere style – non fitted (worn tucked in) or
· White cotton blouse – embroidered with school logo – revere style – fitted (worn untucked)
· Plain-knit grey cardigan and/or V-neck pullover (of the shade available at Simmonds / Forsters).
Light grey fashion cardigans are not acceptable.
· Plain opaque black tights.
· Plain dark grey knee-length straight skirt (as available at Simmonds /Forsters)
· Science overall, royal blue, with initials embroidered on right-hand side where a breast pocket would be.
· Cookery apron, royal blue, with initials embroidered on right-hand side.
· Plain (no logos of any kind) black outdoor coat, mac or duffle coat Real fur, leather or suede coats are not permitted.
· Plain black shoes (not suede) suitable for school. (Please avoid steel-tipped heels and extremes of fashion.)
· Hairbands in blue, black or white, only.
All items of clothing must be clearly marked with the owner's name. Please do not use iron-on name tapes: they do come off eventually! In addition to the name in full. science overalls, cookery aprons and shoe bags should have initials (5 cm high) embroidered in bright red upon them. Where there is a logo the embroidery should be on the opposite side and the PE bag should be embroidered on the bottom right hand side.
· Plain white aertex type blouse embroidered with school logo.
· House aertex polo in house colours with house name embroidered.
· Athletic shorts, black.
· Sports socks, black with white turnover for Summer term.
· White training shoes. No plimsolls (white or black).
· Sports bag in school colour, royal blue, for PE kit.
In order to avoid unauthorised (and unhygienic!) borrowing of other pupils' kit, in addition to the normal name tapes please embroider initials in bright red/scarlet on the opposite side to the logo on the sports top.
· Plain charcoal grey trousers (as available at Simmonds/ Forsters only). Plain black trousers – no wide belt, buckles, or other decoration and definitely no black jeans. However, for official events skirts must be worn.
· Black plain knee-length boots when snow is on the ground and only to walk to school in.
· Smart black ankle boots can be worn with trousers only.
· Plain black, grey, white or royal blue scarf.
· Roll-collared sweater, white, long sleeves, for wear underneath long-sleeved blouse in cold weather, not permitted in the Summer term.
· Royal Blue or Plain Black waterproof cagoule may be worn in wet weather.
· Black sandals, low heeled for warm weather (not available at Forsters). All footwear, for safety reasons, must have at least a strap at the back of the heel.
· For Physical Education lessons black track trousers, hooded grey sweatshirt with school logo.
· Football boots/shin pads.
GUIDELINES CONCERNING UNIFORM
All of us at Highsted are proud of our school and the school uniform helps create a sense of belonging. We therefore ask that you follow the guidelines concerning uniform set out in this booklet. Full school uniform should be worn at all times when pupils are representing Highsted, including on journeys to and from school. Trainers or tennis shoes should only be worn for PE lessons.
There are different guidelines for pupils in the Senior School, which are explained in more detail in the Senior School Handbook.
JEWELLERY AND HAIR
The only items of jewellery we allow to be worn at school are one pair of discreet studs in the ear lobes only and a watch (name engraved on the back). No other kind of body piercing, can be worn in school. Discreet religious symbols may be worn if they are underneath a blouse or sweater and are not visible. All jewellery must be removed for PE and games lessons. There are special rules about studs in recently pierced ears. See your PE teacher BEFORE you have your ears pierced. Long hair should be tied back for Science practicals, PE and games lessons, hair decorations should be royal blue, grey, black or white. Hair must be adapted to a restrained, discreet style for school and of a natural colour, dyed hair is not encouraged. No badges other than school ones may be worn.
SCHOOL BAG AND TEXTBOOKS
All pupils will need a strong bag (not a plastic or carrier bag, please!) in which to carry books and other equipment. A rucksack is often the most popular choice. Pupils are provided with textbooks which should be covered and named on the front. If books are lost or damaged, they naturally must be replaced and a charge will be made.